COVID-19 breakout while badly affecting everything else in the country has also affected the schedule of the board exams that were scheduled between the months of April and May.
Here’s a summary of everything that you need to know about the decisions that were made by the Education Minister, Shafqat Mahmood.
Cancellation of board examinations
It was announced last week by Federal Minister for Education & Professional Training Shafqat Mahmood that all the educational institutions across the country will remain closed till the 15th of July and all board exams are cancelled.
Multiple concerns were soon raised by parents, students, and teachers, and the announcement mentioned the students being assessed on their previous performance. This was rather concerning for the students of class 9 and 11 as they have never appeared in a board exam before and they might have to appear in a composite exam next year.
On the 14th of May Mr. Shafqat Mahmood during a press conference announced the promotion policy for students who were scheduled to appear in board exams. The policy states:
1. Students including private from class 9 to 11 will be promoted without exams.
2. There will be no composite exam. Their previous grades will be calculated when they will appear in board exams of grades 10 and 12.
3. The students who couldn’t appear in exams of class 10 and 12 will have grades according to their result of class 9 and 11 with an addition of 3% to the total marks.
4. Students failing less than 40% of subjects will get passing grades.
5. Special exams will be conducted for students who want to improve their grades, giving composite exams, taking extra subjects, or have failed in more than 40% of subjects.
While further elaborating on the decision, Shafqat Mehmood also said, “Our total effort was to ensure fairness and help the students. Concerns of a vast majority have been addressed”.
Let’s hope that the decision taken by the education ministry turns out to be in the best interest of everyone concerned.
Still, what do you have to say about promotion of students without exams? Share your thoughts in the comments section!